Covid19 News

Streak stretches to 33 days without a new case of COVID-19 in N.L.


Newfoundland and Labrador reported no new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the province’s streak to 33 days. 

The caseload remains 261. In total, 17,780 people have been tested as of Tuesday’s update — 231 in the last 24 hours.

On the eve of Canada Day — and, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Memorial Day — Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Janice Fitzgerald reminded the public of health measures in place to help reduce the spread of the virus.

Fitzgerald also acknowledged some residents of the province are more nervous about the virus since the provincial government announced last week that Newfoundland and Labrador will join a “bubble” with the three other Atlantic provinces on Friday.

“These are challenging and uncertain times, and uncertainty breeds fear, there’s no doubt about that,” she said.

“But our choices must reflect the science and not our fears. We have trusted the science to get us to where we are today and we must continue to do so.”

Fitzgerald said travel restrictions were implemented when COVID-19 was widespread in many provinces. Since then, she said, the prevalence across the country has dropped, particularly in Atlantic Canada. 

As of Tuesday there are four active cases — all in New Brunswick — in Atlantic Canada, which has a population of about 2.2 million people.

Fitzgerald said a lot has been learned about the virus since March, including about protecting vulnerable populations, preventing the spread, testing and identifying the virus, contact tracing and quarantining, identifying patients that will need specialized care.

“We are in a very different place than we were in March, and even early May, and our health system is prepared,” she said. 

“But our biggest weapon in the fight against COVID-19 is you, the public, and your understanding and acceptance in following public health measures.”  

This is a breaking news update. A previous version of this story is below.

Just days before the so-called Atlantic bubble takes effect, Newfoundland and Labrador is expected to lay out details of what the province can expect as it rolls into a second month without a new case of COVID-19. 

The first live briefing in almost a week is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. NT. 

On Monday, Newfoundland and Labrador marked 32 straight days without a new case of COVID-19. The province has been free of COVID altogether — that is, has had no active cases — since June 18. 

Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Janice Fitzgerald has said there are epidemiological grounds to support the Atlantic bubble because the four Atlantic provinces between them have not recorded a new case in some time. New Brunswick is the only province of the four with any active cases. 

Under the Atlantic bubble, residents of the four Atlantic provinces will be able to cross provincial boundaries without having to self-isolate for 14 days, as residents of other provinces will still be required to do. 

Last week, Premier Dwight Ball said that if the Atlantic bubble works — namely, if there is no spike in new cases — the bubble may be expanded to other provinces. 

Read more from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador 



Source Website Streak stretches to 33 days without a new case of COVID-19 in N.L.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of