Covid19 News

Coronavirus: 967 active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario, province now at 18 deaths


Ontario health officials reported 132 new active coronavirus cases on Friday morning, as well as three additional deaths, bringing the provincial total to 967 active cases of COVID-19.

The province now has 18 deaths and eight resolved cases.

No breakdown information on age, gender, location, form of transmission or status was provided for the new cases.


READ MORE:
Widow of Ontario man, 48, who died from coronavirus speaks out about deadly virus

“Information for all cases today is pending,” a notice on the Ontario website reads.

In a press conference Friday afternoon, Dr. Barbara Yaffe, the province’s associate chief medical officer of health, said 60 people with COVID-19 are currently hospitalized, while 43 of them are in intensive care and 32 are using ventilators.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Dr. David Williams, the province’s chief medical officer of health, said he was surprised at Friday’s new case numbers.

Story continues below advertisement


READ MORE:
Ontario government issues emergency alert on COVID-19 due to coronavirus pandemic

“The number of tests carried through, as well as the roll back on the pending ones, I was anticipating that our number would be higher than 170, so I am pleasantly surprised,” Williams said in a press conference Friday afternoon.

“Let’s see where we go, it’s only one day.”

He said all Ontarians should maintain social distancing as much as possible.

More than 41,000 patients have been tested for the virus so far and around 10,000 people are currently under investigation awaiting test results.

— With files from Ryan Rocca





Source Website Coronavirus: 967 active cases of COVID-19 in Ontario, province now at 18 deaths

You may also like

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of