Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb has issued a stay-at-home order for all Hoosiers due the rapid spread of the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. Here’s what that means.
Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb addressed abortions and the extensof the state’s ban on dining in at restaurants and bars during his press briefing on Tuesday. ISDH commissioner Kristina Box discussed Tuesday’s increase in reported cases and deaths, cautioning that “we have a very long way to go before the peak.”
Indiana as of Tuesday had surpassed 2,000 confirmed coronavirus cases with 2,159, according to the state dashboard. Meanwhile, Monday was among the deadliest days, with an additional 14 deaths reported for a total of 49 deaths.
The number of confirmed cases for central Indiana surpassed 1,000. Marion County had a total of 964, with 170 new cases. Hamilton and Johnson Counties each had more than 100 cases, with 127 and 101 respectively. Hendricks County had 70 cases.
Five of the new deaths occurred in Marion County for a total of 17 deaths.
Lake County is the only other place in the state with more than 100 cases, 50 of which were new, with 146 cases and five deaths.
Decatur, Franklin and Ripley Counties, not as populous as other areas of the state, also saw a high number of cases, with 47, 35 and 31 respectively. Madison County had 38.
Monday afternoon Franklin County health officials said in a release that two of the deaths occurred in men in their 70s, one of whom was hospitalized in Indiana and the other in Ohio. County health officials also said that one man with the coronavirus in his 80s was recovering after having been on a ventilator.
All but 11 Indiana counties have at least one case of the virus that causes the disease called COVID-19.
In all, at least 13,373 people have been tested for the virus.
Indy firefighters, police test positive
A dozen Indianapolis police officers and nine city firefighters have tested positive for COVID-19, officials said Tuesday.
“The officers are self-quarantined at home and being monitored for any progression of symptoms,” Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department spokeswoman Aliya Wishner said.
Two of the officers tested positive last week, while the rest were reported Tuesday morning. Wishner said 26 other officers have tested negative.
The department has about 1,700 officers.
Additionally, nine Indianapolis Fire Department firefighters are in home quarantine after testing positive for the virus, Batallion Chief Rita Reith said Tuesday.
Reith said the quarantine is having no impact on service. IFD has 1,200 firefighters at 43 stations.
Free childcare for Boone County first responders, medical professionals
Mental Health America of Boone County is offering free emergency childcare for first responders and medical professionals who continue to work during the coronavirus outbreak.
Officials said the service will be available from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the center, 1122 N. Lebanon St. in Lebanon.
“Amid the current world pandemic surrounding the COVID-19 virus, Mental Health America of Boone County is permitted to operate as an emergency childcare facility for children of first responders, medical professionals, healthcare workers and other critical staff,” said a statement from the organization.
Rules for the service include no parents/guardians entering the building when dropping off or picking up children; children not being permitted to bring any toys or other items from home; and all child lunches must be brought in a clear, large Ziploc-style bag. An afternoon snack with be provided, and lunches must be ready to eat.
Children will have temperatures checked upon entry and every two hours following, officials said.
A full list of rules and requirements for the service can be found along with the official registration documents at http://pdf.ac/athWXd.
— Justin L. Mack
Susan G. Komen walk postponed to Aug. 1
Susan G. Komen Central Indiana has moved the upcoming More Than Pink walk from April 18 to Aug. 1.
The fundraising event will still begin at 10 a.m. at Historic Military Park at White River State Park, 601 W. New York St.
“While this is incredibly disappointing, the health and safety of our constituents, volunteers, sponsors and the community at large remain our priority,” officials said in a statement. “We are continuing to monitor the situation and we remain here for the women and men touched by breast cancer who need our assistance.”
According to the organization, funds raised for the event support local breast health programs including screening, diagnostic testing, treatment assistance and more.
“No matter what is happening in the world, breast cancer does not stop and neither do we; as long as breast cancer is here, we are here to fight it with you,” officials said.
For more information, visit www.komencentralindiana.org.
Updates from Monday
Indiana is bracing…
Source Website 14 more deaths, 2,159 total cases